- Posted by Claudia
- On August 31, 2017
- 0 Comments
Have you ever been out at an important event and had to deal with frizz after you spent two hours trying to pin and wrestle your hair into place?
Well here are some tips to help you out in those types of frustrating situations!
Not one of us can escape that frizz head look that comes with the wonderful humidity! It’s not enough that we have to sweat like pigs, but you get messy hair too! We all have had bad experiences with frizz and we can all say that we are not a huge fan of it.
Before we get into that we need to understand what it is and why it happens.
- Some hair, most often curly hair, clumps together in its natural pattern producing what we call, ringlets. Combing through the hair after it has dried can disrupt the natural pattern of the hair by breaking up the clumps. This causes the hair to expand, thus creating frizz.
- Hair damage such as breakage or chipping caused by styling techniques can produce hair to frizz. Try to avoid using these technique or using them correctly.
- Breakage can be caused by brushing the hair too long or too roughly.
- Backcombing to create volume can cause hairs to break.
- Using heating styling products such as blow dryers, flat irons, and curling irons can break hair and cause split ends (there are hair products to help with this 😉
- Using harsh shampoos that strip the hair of its natural oils can cause it to dry out and break (using professional hair products can fix this problem).
- Humidity causes frizz because water causes hair proteins to swell. This leads the hair to twist and bend against its natural pattern.
Now that we’ve gotten the 411 on frizz, we can get into what we can do to tame and control it. There are many products that can help tame frizz (will include the ones that I know to work) but the most important part is using them correctly. I will also go over styling techniques that can help you whip your hair into shape!
1. Using sulfate-free smoothing shampoo and conditioner prepares your hair a smoother, frizz-free look. We recommend using Unite’s Lazer Straight Shampoo and Conditioner. Whether you have straight, wavy, or curly hair, don’t worry! This shampoo will help tame those tresses.
2. Towel drying. When towel drying, pat the hair dry. Don’t rub it between your hands. You’re not trying to start a fire! Calm down and be gentle. This helps keep your hair is its natural pattern and will experience less breakage.
3. Use a leave-in conditioner to help with brushing. This helps you avoid breaking your hair because the leave-in conditioner helps detangle. Our absolute favorite and #1 is Unite’s 7 Seconds Leave-In Conditioner! It’s the best detangler, smells amazing, plus it provides protection from the sun and hot styling tools. We couldn’t rave about this product enough! Seriously, if you haven’t already tried it, you have to. You will be hooked!
4. Use a relaxing styling product to help defeat and control frizz from humidity. For best results, apply it after the leave in conditioner, before blow-drying, and comb it through the hair. This will help distribute the products evenly. We carry two that we love. Unite’s Lazer Straight, and Sebastian’s Taming Elixir.
5. Round brush blow-dry to help guide the hair cuticle downward giving it a smooth and sleek look. Plus, with round brushing comes luscious volume that will make your hair runway ready!
6. Use argan oil to set the hair. We love Unite’s U Oil and Sebastian’s Dark Oil. They both smell amazing and help further protect your hair from the sun. They can be used before and/or after styling.
7. Carry a lightweight anti-frizz product with you for reapplication. This is especially helpful for the ladies with naturally curly hair that love to have a smooth straight look. Whenever your hair decides to rebel, smooth that sucker back into place! We highly recommend Sebastian’s Sublimate. It smells amazing and it works under great under humid conditions!